Monday, June 03, 2019
By Bill Boyajian
I've observed many different leaders over the years and have noted many qualities that are consistent with all of them. Here are five that I have seen in most effective leaders:
1. A Positive Attitude: People are attracted to leaders who are inherently positive and exude energy. They have charisma and create willing followers. It comes quite naturally. Great leaders show up every day with an optimistic attitude and a can-do spirit.
2. Vision: The most successful leaders take their dreams, formulate a vision, and make that vision reality. They know who they are, where they're going, why it's important, how to get there, and when and how to communicate it to those who follow.
3. Perseverance: In leadership, you're going to get knocked down plenty of times, so you need to have the resilience and a "stick-to-it" attitude to keep on going. A good leader has to be able to handle criticism and must be able to maintain confidence in the face of even grave difficulty.
4. Humility: Leaders don't think less of themselves. They think of themselves less than they do others. Moreover, they place the needs of others above their own. It flows out of strength and confidence, not from a low self-esteem. In fact, the most humble leaders have a very high self-esteem and a very accurate view of themselves.
5. Care for Self: Despite being humble, great leaders do not forsake taking good care of themselves. They know that their ability to perform is a direct result of their energy and personal well-being. So they make sure to get the right amount of sleep and rest, the right foods and dietary needs, and the right exercise to keep themselves in shape.
While there are many other traits of effective leaders, these five form the core of what leaders need in order to be top performers.
About the Author
An internationally respected author, educator, speaker, and business coach, Bill Boyajian consults for leading companies in the jewelry industry and is in demand as a keynote speaker by prominent groups from both within and outside the jewelry trade. Boyajian takes hise expertise to new heights with his book, "Developing the Mind of a Leader – Your Path to Lead and Inspire People". For more information, please visit: billboyajianassociates.com.
AT: 06/03/2019 11:09:38 AM
Thursday, May 23, 2019
[Pictured: Southern Brazil Gemstone Mine]
Written by Lucian Lee, President & CEO of Hales Jewelers
[Pictured: The author, Lucien Lee]
The Experience…Every day as a brick and mortar retailer, we strive to create the best experience we can give to our customers. It is the service, the knowledge, the professionalism and the relationships we create that differentiate us from the competition. We want them to put the cell phone down, drive by two other retailers because of the joy and experience we give them.
Put yourself on the other side for a moment. See yourself in the buyers’ shoes, and then ask yourself as a retailer, “What do we have that cannot be found online?” I would submit to you that it is beyond the beauty and rarity. It is the power of the story we are able to present to that client. It is the story of your visit to the precious topaz mine in Brazil. The 200-meter drop into the shaft of an emerald mine on a little more than a bucket and a piece of rope.
Or a boating trip, out into a pearl farm to understand and see how pearls are cultured. When we connect a story to a beautiful piece of jewelry, it enriches the experience not only for the buyer but for the recipient as well.
I have just returned from a trip to Hong Kong with Gemstone Expeditions and Joe Menzie. I highly recommend traveling with Joe. For more than 40 years, Joe Menzie has worked with fine jewelers throughout the world to provide them with unique, extraordinary and beautiful gemstones in all sizes and price ranges.
Joe's career began in the jewelry business as an intern in his grandfather’s wholesale jewelry business where he learned the color gemstone business. Ten years later, he formed his own company, Joseph Menzies, Inc. The business has taken him to every corner of the world to buy precious gem stones.
In 2003, he was elected to the Presidency of the International Colored Gemstone Association, a position he held for 12 years. Menzie was instrumental in bringing the gemstone trade to Dubai, Korea, Russia, and most important, China. In 2013, he was honored with The lifetime Achievement Award by the International Colored Gemstone Association.
A trip with Joe will be not only an incredible experience, but it also will give you a powerful story to tell your clients when you return. The hospitality and warmth of the people in the mountains of Brazil made a lasting impression on me.
I understand the difficulty and the argument of, “How can I leave my store for a foreign trip?” It is hard enough to justify trips to the trade shows in this country. I will tell you that the cultural experience alone is worth it.
My experience reminds me of the smiles that the Brazilian gemstones that left my store gave my clients. I am excited to tell the story of the sapphires and rubies acquired in Hong Kong and the value of the Akoya pearls I bought just for them. The trip will pay for itself and will give you a lifetime of stories to tell.
The experiences and the friends you make will last forever... Kudos to you Joe.
To learn more about Gemstone Expeditions, visit their website: www.gemstoneexpeditions.com.
For more information on Hales Jewelers, please visit www.halesjewelers.com.
AT: 05/23/2019 02:42:24 PM